Sunday, April 19, 2009

Guns & Alcohol

Alcohol-related arrests of off duty LEOs a growing problem

The Los Angeles California Sheriffs Department has reported an increase in alcohol related arrests of off duty employees. Some of them are actual sheriff deputies and some are civilian employees of the Sheriffs Department. Most of them are a result of driving under the influence of alcohol or disturbing the peace incidents; some involving firearms.

The Sheriff wants to prevent the deputies from carrying guns while drinking. Their union is fighting the plan. I nearly always carry a gun when I am outside my home off duty. I almost never drink alcohol. On the rare occasion that I go to a bar, or club or similar venue, I typically leave my gun at home. While I recognize the possibility of a confrontation, the mixture of guns and alcohol is seldom a happy one. If you are concerned that you are going to a location where you may be drinking alcohol you have several options.

I can understand if you are going to a typical middle class place with the wife and 2.5 children that you may want to have a beer with your dinner. Limit yourself to one 12 ounce beer, or small glass of wine. Another option is to go with someone else who can carry a gun and have them avoid alcohol, like the designated driver, they can be the designated gun carrier. Go there with your gun, but don't drink alcohol. If the place is so dangerous that you need your gun, then maybe you should stay home, or go someplace else; that's what the SGT Says.

2 comments:

Protect_and_Serve said...

If I had to go somewhere it was dumb or illegal to take my gun, I'd stay home.

Bunkermeister said...

I usually do. I can understand a party, wedding reception you might want a couple drinks, then leave the gun at home. If you are too drunk to drive you are too drunk to be armed.