Thursday, June 25, 2009

Chase Scene, Take 1

My friend Terry is a fine Southern Gentleman from the great state of Tennessee. He was going to be in a movie about law enforcement and he told me all about it. He said:

I knew I was going to be doing a foot chase like four days in advance.

I had four days to prepare to be in a foot chase.

I thought about my foot wear, my radio placement, my path.

Anything and everything to be at the top of my game for the camera. I scouted out the route we would be chasing the "bad guy" and made my two officers do the same, I walked every inch of the route and paid attention to the layout and any potential hazards. I choreographed all our movements. There is a lesson in there for us guys who do this stuff for real.

It got me thinking, our little exercise in cinematic exploit really drove home the importance of "mental rehearsal drills" for tactical scenarios and "know your patrol area."

Maybe all cops could learn something from the actors. Maybe we should all start planning plan now for the next foot chase, the next felony stop, the next hold up alarm, the next burglar alarm, domestic or "loud party with 300 people in a residential back yard" call.

Can you imagine how much officer safety could be enhanced if we all spent four days planning for the various tactical scenarios we routinely or rarely face every day?

Maybe we could cut that number of officers feloniously killed from 60 a year to zero per year!

Thank you Terry for that great advice, that's what the SGT Says.

No comments: