Monday, July 20, 2009

3 Blades

On duty I carry three knives. One is a standard Buck folding knife. I carry it in a black leather pouch behind my handgun. Long blade, very sharp, and maybe 30 years old. I use to to cut strings, open packages, clean fingernails, jimmy gate locks and other utilitarian uses. I can also open it left or right handed with one hand, very fast. Hold the blade and snap the handle down and it will open due to the weight of the handle.

I carry two other knives, identical, one small with a 2 1/2 inch blade, one large with a 3 1/2 inch blade. Both are clip on knives that are designed to be opened with one hand. I can open them with either hand. I carry the small one on my left side front pants pocket. I carry the large on one my right side sap pocket or pants pocket.

Front or rear, left or right, standing, sitting or laying down I can reach at least one knife, with at least one hand. My plan is that if someone were to try and take my firearm I could reach at least one knife and disable the attacker by cutting their arm that is trying to remove my gun from the holster. Having a plan is an important part of winning, that's what the SGT Says.

4 comments:

Protect_and_Serve said...

I carry one knife, but it changes about ever 3-6 months when I lose the old one and have to get a new one.

Texas Ghostrider said...

We must of went to the same school. I too carry three knives now that I am out of uniform. When I was in uniform I carried a knife in my front right and left pockets, those were clip on like yours, I had a small curved blade 1 1/2 inch knife in my front pocket that I can hold with my hand in my pocket. I had a clip on in my right rear pocket, on clipped to the vest plate. I also had a large glock knife in the car secured in/to my duty bag. I believe in being prepared and having knives is one part of it. The second and most important part is TRAIN with them. Take a class on knife defense. If you are going to carry any knife, get trained in it. It is NOT a weapon of opportunity if you carry everyday. I like the Sgt. train with my knives and train with my knives and pistol at the same time. There are some really good drills to get trained in. When you have your knife out protecting your gun, people respect it more. They know rules of engagement for a gun but not the knife. I just seen a knife that fits on the flashlight rail of a glock. I don't know what I will do with it but I want it.....lol

Bunkermeister said...

Pistol bayonet, nice.

Bunkermeister said...

I have taken some knife training, and continue to practice. Practice the draw and open as the most important aspects. Then practice the slash or stab.