Thursday, July 23, 2009

Appologize for Doing Your Job?

Sgt James Crowley Defends Gates Arrest

Adam 12 respond to the location and investigate a citizen report of two male Blacks with backpacks burglarizing the home. So you show up and find a male Black forcing the door. What do you do? Call for back-up and confront the man at the door. "Police officers, keep you hands where I can see them and walk over to me."

Who are you and what are you doing here? Show me some identification that shows you live here. Code 4, resident, no crime, Ten 8. This should have been a very easy, very simple call with no arrest and a resident who was thanking us for keeping his house safe. What went wrong? Why is the President of the United States making comments about this local matter?

I keep reading about this incident and about how the person arrested has all these degrees, and how important a man he is in his community. That's all well and good, but when officers are responding to a crime in progress, how are the officers to know who is there until they get there and investigate? Treat everyone with dignity, respect, fairness, and caution; that's what the SGT Says.

6 comments:

Protect_and_Serve said...

I have proned out home owners. I have nealry shot armed homeowners. I have arrested homeowners at their homes. I have never checked first to see what level of education the subject had. This is a clear case of "You're picking on me because I'm black." This is the same guy that would clalm Cops responded too slowly to his house, due to his color, if he had been burglarized.

*Goddess* said...

I'm wondering what the Professor is going to do if his house is broken into again in the future? In one article I read it said there had been a call about a previous break-in attempt to the residence, so it's no wonder the officer was careful. I would think the Professor would be GRATEFUL that the cops were watching his residence so closely. I had an officer stop me late one night as I came out of my house on my way to work. He asked if I lived there and if he could see my ID. I had no problem complying. He told me he thought maybe I had broken into the residence and was stealing from it. I was glad he was paying attention. We are both white, and I didn't flip out screaming and yelling, because I didn't know him and I knew he didn't know me, either, so he didn't know if I had the right to be on the property or not. Personally, I hope the Sgt. holds his ground.

Protect_and_Serve said...

Osama is already back-peddling from his original comment but he's too arrogant to apologize.

Protect_and_Serve said...

I just read the actual arrest report. Gates is guilty, and obviously has zero respect for authority. His words and actions showed that he believes himself to be above the law.

Bunkermeister said...

Americans like Law and Order. President Obama made many regular folks unhappy for failing to support the police.

Bunkermeister said...

The number of college degrees you have has no bearing on how the police will treat you. The responding officers have no idea who you are and are only looking for crooks.