Friday, July 24, 2009

Bikes

Stopping a motorcycle is a bit different from stopping a car. The first concern is that a motorcycle can go places your big police car can't go, and it can get there faster. So I try to stop them when they are someplace open so I can chase them if I need to go after them. I don't turn on the lights until I am right up on them so they can't be sure I am stopping them until it is too late. I call in the license plate before I turn on the lights, so if they do run, I can find them later.

Once I stop the bike I have a couple options. Sometimes it is a good idea to have the rider stay on the bike with the kickstand up. It makes it hard to jump off and attack you without either dropping the bike or putting the kickstand down. Most bikers like their bikes too much to lay them down and dropping the kickstand will telegraph their actions. The disadvantage is with you on foot they can easily start the bike and ride away. They can put a lot of distance between you before you can get back to your car.

Most of the time I have the rider get off his bike, remove his helmet and step to the curb with the bike on the kickstand. This gets them away from the bike and any weapons that may be on board. It also makes them more vulnerable by taking away their head protection. They also have a reduced ability to escape because they are no longer on their bike; that's what the SGT Says.

2 comments:

Protect_and_Serve said...

Motorcycles are so hard to catch if they choose to run that when they pull over quickly I make sure to give them a break on their violations.

Don't stop OMG bikes without back up.

Bunkermeister said...

Two excellent points.