Sunday, July 12, 2009

Cite When They Violate

When I make a traffic stop and determine I need to write a citation, I try and sell the citation. I seldom write a ticket unless either the violator did something very unsafe, obviously did not learn as a result of the stop or if they have multiple violations. I try and inform them why I cited them so that they can learn the reason that what they did was unsafe. I will also inform them of other violations and explain I am giving them a break by not citing for those other violations.

I do make a notation on the back of my copy about the events of the stop. If the violator was swearing, abusive or agitated then I make note of that. If they had more than one violation, I make note of that too. Almost everyone I stop has more than one violation, even if the subsequent ones are minor. Items dangling from the rear view mirror are an offense in California, bald tires, cracked windshield, no seat belt, no proof of car insurance in their possession are all common items that I may not cite for if I am citing them for something else.

Every stop I make gets called into dispatch. Every car license plate gets run through the system and nearly every driver I stop gets run too, so I know I am not releasing a hardened criminal. Even that 50 year old soccer mom may have been a domestic terrorist in 1973, so it does not hurt to check, that's what the SGT Says.

6 comments:

Protect_and_Serve said...

I run everyone. Once I ran a perfectly respectable looking 40 year old women in a nice car.

She had a dozen warrants that were over 20 years old.

Justice delayed is better than justice denied.

POLICE DIVER said...

Very well said, and written my friend.
Never forget the old mantra, " When in doubt, LEIN them out""!! Only takes a couple of minutes and you never know what may pop up!! :-)

Protect_and_Serve said...

IN GOD WE TRUST...all others go through NCIC.

Snickering Corpses said...

Alongside your previous post, just last night the news just had a local murder where the murderers were captured because they had the body of the victim in their van when pulled over for a routine traffic stop.

Bunkermeister said...

Routine traffic stops are the ones that kill you.

Bunkermeister said...

You can't judge a book by it's cover, so run them in the system.