Sunday, July 5, 2009

Dumb Stuff

Sea Lion Takes Fireboat for a Ride - KTLA

In California sea lions, seals, are protected animals and generally can't be killed. Sometimes there are many of them that will make a nuisance of themselves and they have to be moved. So the various police agencies are sometimes called to move them.

In a recent incident a sea lion was in a sheriff boat and gain control of the wheel for a short period of time. This is one of those stupid things that sometimes happen in law enforcement. Nearly everyone who works patrol has at one time or another left a ticket book on the roof of the patrol car and drove away. I remember many years ago returning to a spot alongside the freeway and retrieving my ticket book from the side of the road after I did that. And who has not driven around for a while with the blinking lights on the roof?

I have had partners who showed up for work with no gun, no uniform, or no shoes. We all make mistakes and some of them are not really disasters. Police are only human and we will make mistakes now and again. Some of these can be minimized by training, experience and planning and preparation. I always keep at least one full uniform in my locker including a tee shirt and socks and a couple dollars. I hate wearing white socks with a blue uniform and black shoes; that's what the SGT Says.

4 comments:

Protect_and_Serve said...

I just wish animal calls were a rare thing on my Department. We get cat, dog, cow and other animal calls everyday.

Bunkermeister said...

I have had dog, cat, skunk, and rat calls over the years.

Protect_and_Serve said...

...horse, buffalo, snake, spider...

Bunkermeister said...

Maybe you should do a recipe book?