Sunday, July 26, 2009

Reaction Time

A few years ago my adult daughter asked me what I would do if someone pointed a handgun at me. I told her it depended on many factors, but that my preference was to take positive action as soon as I determined I had an advantage.

She was not sure what I meant by all that, so I got out my Redgun Glock and handed it to her. I told her to point the gun at me as if she was a robber or other criminal threatening me with a gun. He held the gun in her right hand at about waist level, and rather close in, pointing it at my midsection. I slowly raised my hands and told her, please don't shoot, whatever you say goes, you got the gun, you are in charge.

As I spoke I took two very small steps forward and then executed a quick front snap kick and knocked the gun across the room. She stood there stunned. After about three seconds she finally spoke and said, "I had no idea you could do that." I told her that most of the time the person with the gun will think they are in charge and will be vulnerable to rapid action to disarm them. Remember, that also applies to you, when you point a gun at the bad guys, that's what the SGT Says.

8 comments:

Texas Ghostrider said...

Sgt. you are right again, Always have a plan of action for everyone you meet. If they do this I will do this, If I can't get to my gun, how about a knife, baton, OC, Tazer. Then always have a back up plan. I am not talking about just the gang banger, I mean everyone. There has been 70 something old men take out cops. Have a plan and back up plan and PRACTICE.

Protect_and_Serve said...

Doesn't kicking your daughter fall under 273.5 PC?

Bunkermeister said...

Well said Texas Ghostrider. Even young teenagers have shot police.

Bunkermeister said...

P&S, I actually kicked the Redgun, so she was not hit.

Nice try.

*Goddess* said...

Bet she'll think twice before she ever tries that move on dear old Dad:)

Bunkermeister said...

We don't always get a chance to show our kids what we do, but sometimes it works out.

*Goddess* said...

Yeah, when I read that I was thinking that she was probably very surprised at what you really can do.

Bunkermeister said...

Well, even I was a bit surprised that it worked so perfectly.