Thursday, July 30, 2009

Ride Along

Sometimes we get to have someone ride along with us in the patrol car. I always start off with a short conversation about who they are and why they want to ride in my police vehicle. It could be a police applicant, a police explorer or cadet, or even a dispatcher.

Next we do a tour of the police car. The radio is the first stop on our tour. Press to talk, release to listen. This is my call sign, but if there is an emergency and you can't remember it, just say your name and the dispatcher will know who you are. I explain the hand held radio and how to work it too.

I explain to the ride along that I only expect them to observe and if things go badly to contact dispatch and save themselves. I do not expect a dispatcher, cadet or other non-sworn officer to stand beside me in a gun battle or gang fight. I also want them to be able to protect themselves, so I go over the shotgun, patrol rifle, my duty gun and my back up gun. Get them back to the station in one piece at the end of the ride along is my goal, that's what the SGT Says.

4 comments:

Protect_and_Serve said...

All good points...unfortunately our only ride-alongs are Reserves. I think more of the public needs a first hand look at what we do and more importantly what we have to put up with and lastly, how 5% off the population causes 99% of the problems.

Alex said...

Excellent points, I wish the officers I've ridden along with did that. Only one even showed me how to work the shotgun release switch, and none told me their callsign or how to use the radio. Luckily, it wasn't needed anyway.

I don't understand why some departments don't do ride-alongs.

Bunkermeister said...

Shows like COPS give some small view of what happens in the field. But is it much scarier in person.

Bunkermeister said...

I think everyone who works for the PD should go on a ride along at least once a year. Records clerks, dispatchers, CSI, everyone. It really helps them to understand the sharp end of police work like nothing else can.

It is well worth the liability.