Sunday, August 9, 2009

Ambient Light

I do most of my searching in ambient light in the dark. Stop, look, listen are three most important things you can do when searching in the dark. Unless there is a need to search quickly, get out of the police car a few doors down and wait a minute in the dark. Let your eyes adjust to the night. The slowly and quietly approach the location with your flashlight off.

I like to start at a front corner and work my way across the front of a building. Burglars often both enter or leave by the front door, so it is not uncommon to find it open. I like to conduct a full exterior check without lights if possible. I feel it gives me a tactical advantage by not giving away the fact that the police have arrived. If I do need to use my light, some areas are just pitch black, I close my right eye and blink the flashlight on and off. My right eye is my dominant eye and the more important eye for shooting, so I want to preserve my night vision in one eye.

Typically, I will cover the flashlight with my hand so that it just emits a tiny amount of light to allow me to inspect a door lock or other small area. It prevents the light from drawing too much attention to my location. Often I will just stand still in the shadows and listen. If someone is moving around in the yard or the house I will usually hear them. Being invisible helps you to stay alive; that's what the SGT Says.

4 comments:

Protect_and_Serve said...

I almost jump out of my boots every time the motion detector lights click on.

Texas Ghostrider said...

I use a small green LED light to check something if need be. Most officers don't realize if they go back to the old ways they will catch more crooks. Study the ways of the native american warriors or any warrior society. Stop, look and listen is very wise.....

Protect_and_Serve said...

I'm not so sure I'd use Indian tactics...if you recall, they lost pretty much every battle except little big horn.

Bunkermeister said...

Too often technology becomes an end in itself. We need to use technology to improve what we do.

A small LED light is a very good idea too.