Sunday, August 16, 2009

Ford Police Cars

Ford may be planning on dropping the Police Interceptor from their line up. The rumor is that they will make a Police Ford Taurus. Ford used to make a police package Taurus. I ran a fleet of almost 30 private security patrol cars and they were a mix of regular Taurus and police package Taurus. The PP was much faster, and had good acceleration, but other than that was not really any better than the regular Taurus.

The Taurus trunk is too small, there is no room in the backseat for prisoner transport, and at 6-2 and 250 pounds not much room for me in the front seat. My agency has a computer, rifle and shotgun and cage in the car; with all the radio gear and camera, my partner and I barely squeeze into and out of the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor.

We really need a revolutionary approach to police vehicles that will address crash survival, prisoner transport, radios and other gear and the need to allow large officers the ability to get in and out of the car quickly and access the weapons. Simply putting a second cigarette lighter power source, bigger tires and an oil cooler on a Taurus won't do it for me, that's what the SGT Says.

10 comments:

Protect_and_Serve said...

I miss the Caprice.

Texas Ghostrider said...

I am waiting for this new "carbon" car to go into production... ford is making a mistake!

*Goddess* said...

I've been posting stories on PositiveLEO about that Carbon Motors car for about a year now. When is that thing coming out?!

Protect_and_Serve said...

The Carbon is not a real car...it's just a "concept" car. There are no plans to put it into production.

Bunkermeister said...

I liked the square Caprice, the big round Shamu cars were okay but the windshield was too large.

Bunkermeister said...

Yes, the Carbon is probably not likely to see production.

Goddess, have you been posting about me too? ;)

*Goddess* said...

I don't know about it being "just a concept car" since Carbon has this posted on their website:

"When will the E7 be available?

This effort will take several years. Once the long-term governmental and financial agreements are in place, it will take us approximately 36 months to get the vehicle to full-scale production. It is also important that we take our time and do this properly in order to get you the best product at the most affordable price possible."

I don't know if I've posted about you. Have you made the news lately?:)

Bunkermeister said...

That's what a concept car is, a proof of a concept. Not intended for actual production in most cases. The production versions follow, if ever, usually years later.

Goddess, posting about my blog!
Tell all your friends! If this blog is helpful, then others should know about it.

*Goddess* said...

Ooooh, ok, I thought a concept car never came to be...much like a lot of my concepts for getting rich..LOL!

Yeah, I've had a link to your site on PositiveLEO for a long time now. I'll have to do an actual post on all of them, though.

Bunkermeister said...

Most concept cars are not sent to production. They often display a concept for one or more features that will be used in a future car. If the concept is popular and seems workable, then it will be used in production vehicles. Concept cars seldom are used as is as production cars.

Goddess, thanks for the support.