Friday, August 21, 2009

Get Out

When responding to a dangerous crime in progress calls, as I get close to the location, I watch for vehicles that may be leaving the area. It could be the suspects on their way to escape. Once I get about a block away, I take off my seat belt. It is not likely that I will crash in the last 100 yards, but it is likely that I will want to jump quickly out of the car.

It is also difficult to draw a handgun from the holster when seated in a car with the seat belt on. While I strongly support the wearing of seat belts in vehicles, it is also important to know when to remove them to gain a tactical advantage.

Once you arrive at the dangerous call, be sure to rapidly exit the vehicle. While the patrol car can provide cover, it also acts as a bullet magnet. The bad guys will see the car and shoot at it thinking you are in it. Getting out and getting some distance from it can give you a tactical advantage; that's what the SGT Says.

4 comments:

Protect_and_Serve said...

Someday, they bad guys might get me. But they won't get me behind the wheel.

*Goddess* said...

This is something else I learned from reading your blog:) I always thought the cruiser door would be a perfect thing to hide behind until you enlightened us otherwise.

Bunkermeister said...

The cruiser door should be the perfect thing to hide behind. The bean counting, penny pinching weasels that buy police cars won't pay for bullet proof doors. But that's just my opinion.

Bunkermeister said...

Well said P&S.