Thursday, August 27, 2009

It's A Keeper

I still can't believe my eyes when I see some cops without belt keepers. Belt keepers are thin leather strips that fit around the gun belt and the trouser belt and keep the two belts together. Without them, the gun belt will tend to sag down in places were the belt is heavy, like where the gun is located.

Belt keepers will keep the belt in place. If you have difficulty drawing a gun or radio out of a stiff holster the keepers will keep the gun belt in place and not allow the gun belt and holster to ride up and interfere with your draw. It is a very practical bit of gear. I wear about six of them. One of them even has a little key clip on it that I tuck into my back pants pocket.

Not wearing keepers often gives police a "wild west" look to their gear. It is not really a very professional look for today's law enforcement. There are some belts that are integral to the uniform or that have Velcro on them so that the use of keepers is not needed to accomplish the same goal. Keepers, get some, that's what the SGT Says.

4 comments:

Protect_and_Serve said...

Many Deparments (like mine) have gone to nylon gear. It's lighter, cheaper, quieter, and softer when you fall on it. I still use keepers, though some go for the velcro duty belt/inner belt combo.

Bunkermeister said...

Nylon gear is the way to go. If I was buying it all over again, I would get nylon.

I used to wear the nylon / Velco belt, I did not like it. I found it too difficult to get in the perfect position and was always fooling with it.

TheBronze said...

Velcro is NOT a substitute for keepers.

Keepers - Know it, learn it, live it.

Bunkermeister said...

Even with the Velcro I recommend one or two keepers by the gun to hold it in place.