Friday, August 7, 2009

Light Them Up

Always carry a flashlight. Just because you work day shift on the long summer days does not mean you don't need a flashlight. If you end up with a long shift, late call, or working overtime you may end up working at night after all.

Flashlights are also useful in other scenarios. You can check someones pupils to see if their eyes react to light, or if they are under the influence of drugs. You can shine the light along a surface to look for fingerprints. You can look in the little nooks and crannies of cars to search for drugs or weapons.

I have had to search barns, garages, attics and basements. We don't even have basements in Southern California and I have had to search basements. Sometimes things happen and the power goes out. There is little natural light in a modern building and often the emergency lights are not much help either. Carry your flashlight on you, even in the day; that's what the SGT Says.

6 comments:

Protect_and_Serve said...

Rechargable Mag light in my left hand, Ultra Stinger on my belt, M-3on my Glock, and a lighter in my pocket.

I'm afraid of the dark.

Snickering Corpses said...

That reminds me of a question. I realize cop shows are not a good indicator of how real cops work. But one of the things I've always wondered from cop shows is what determines when you should use your flashlight to enter a room, and when you should just use a light switch?


I can understand that there would be situations you would not want to use a light switch, up to and including disturbing prints on it or concerns it could be booby-trapped. But when do you?

Protect_and_Serve said...

Generally speaking the door-way is much more dangerous than the light itself. It's different every time but I don't have any hard and fast rule against hitting the light switch.

Bunkermeister said...

The dark can be your friend, but like fire and electricity, it can be dangerous.

Texas Ghostrider said...

Sgt., I took the liberty to write about my FTO's days using this topic. I had a writers block and I just stole your light. So thanks and I hope you don't "file" on me.....

Bunkermeister said...

TG, this blog is about sharing information and maybe even helping our brother officers make it to retirement. I am glad you are "stealing" my information!