Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Guns and More

I carry a gun with me nearly all the time. And if I don't have it with me, it is usually close. But just a gun alone is not enough. So I shoot at someone but then what? I have to have a way to identify myself or responding units or other citizens will think I am just some other criminal. I always carry my flat badge and identification when I carry the gun.

Just having identification is not enough either, I also try and carry a cell phone too. If I am not in a shooting situation, but holding someone at gun point, it would be nice to be able to call for help. Relying on a citizen to call may get you some help, but it is not the same as the information you can tell the dispatcher first hand about the nature of the event and who you are and what you are doing.

I also have handcuffs nearby too. It can be difficult to hold someone at gunpoint for a long period of time. Suspects get bored, start thinking maybe they should just take off and leave you there. Also other people can show up and give you problems so you have too much going on. Off duty, you need more than just a gun; that's what the SGT Says.

6 comments:

Protect_and_Serve said...

I ALWAYS have a gun, a knife, and a cell phone on me (shower excluded). My POV has pepper spray, cuffs, a flashlight, and a sap (baton was too big)

I hope never to have to get involved with off-duty stuff but just in case, I'll be ready.

Alex said...

I'm not an officer, but it seems to me that the zip-tie like cuffs would be more convenient to carry on you than a pair of metal cuffs. Is that right?

Protect_and_Serve said...

Not really. They are kinda bulky require wire cutters to remove and only work once.

Bunkermeister said...

The zip tie cuffs are great if you need 20 sets. Not so great off duty.

*Goddess* said...

When you shoot a gun, where does the residue go on your hands? And is it possible to completely wash it off? I know with blood they have a special light they can use to examine a crime scene, is there anything like that they use for gunpowder? I'm asking because I was watching a Dateline and the woman was suspected of shooting the gun that killed her husband and the gun powder residue was found in a small amt on the back of her hand.

Bunkermeister said...

Goddess, it goes all over like a small explosion.