Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sun

Heat cramps: First aid - MayoClinic.com

It is hot out there this summer. Where I am the temperatures have been as much as 100 degrees Fahrenheit and very humid as well. Fifty miles from my home there are huge brush fires that are taking out thousands of acres and hundreds of homes.

Be aware of the dangers of heat. Drink plenty of water. I am drinking two to three times the amount of water that I usually drink. I am even drinking it at home after I am off duty to rehydrate from the day. Drink sports drinks sparingly, they often have a lot of calories, but they are a good substitute for soda and coffee. Drinks with caffeine are not good for you in hot weather.

Wear a hat, wear sunscreen, I wear baby sunscreen with SPF 50. Wear wrap around sunglasses, I actually wear range type eye ware that protects against the sun and projectiles. Even went it is hot, I will frequently wear long sleeves for further protection from the sun. The sun can kill you, so be careful of it; that's what the SGT Says.

4 comments:

Protect_and_Serve said...

I used to think it got hot in California until I moved to Alabama. Temperature means nothing...it's all about humidity.

Thank God for Fabreeze or my vest would smell like a toxic waste dump.

Bunkermeister said...

I know you.

It's not the vest. ;)

t said...

Hey Sgt,THX for the tips!It's even greater knowing that baby sunscreen works!

Bunkermeister said...

T, you are welcome. Despite living in Southern California, I am very sensitive to sunburn. Baby sunscreen works well for me because it has a very high SPF rating. It is made for babies because babies are generally not trying to get a sun tan, but rather sun protection.