Friday, September 4, 2009

T-Stop

When you are ready to make a traffic stop, spend a moment observing what you are stopping. How many people are in the car? Are you outnumbered? What are the people in the car doing? Are they sitting in the car waiting to be pulled over, or are they looking at you, looking at each other, waving their arms, or moving around as if they are hiding something or getting something?

Are they throwing things out the window? Could they be tossing drugs or weapons out the window? Make sure you call the plate and vehicle and location information in to dispatch before you activate the emergency lights. If the suspect vehicle seems odd, then you may want to call for back up before you stop the car.

Stop the vehicle where there is plenty of room to safely conduct the stop. Make sure there is light if it is nighttime. Make sure you are not on some dead end alley with no escape route for yourself if things go bad. Be careful when you make a stop; that's what the SGT Says.

4 comments:

Protect_and_Serve said...

I stopped a lady last night for one headlight. As I was walking to her car I noticed I had a headlight out on my patrol car. Needless to say, she didn't get a ticket.

Bunkermeister said...

I went through eight cars one night to find one I could patrol in. Some days are like that.

Protect_and_Serve said...

I just went back to the jail and had a trustee put in a new bulb.

Bunkermeister said...

Our city contracts out with a neighbor agency for jail services, so no more trustees for us.