Sunday, April 18, 2010

Car Windows

While driving around today, I saw an officer driving his patrol car with all four windows down. Driving with the windows down is quite the trade off. Driving around with all four windows up and the air conditioning blowing it is difficult to hear things happening outside the car. People yelling for help or other indications of criminal activity.

I like to keep my windows rolled up in front and down a bit in back. The front windows rolled down allow suspects to throw things into my car or at me. It also creates wind noise that makes it hard to hear the radio.

By having the windows down a bit in the back, I can hear what is happening outside. I can smell smoke or other strange odors from outside, but I don't have the the wind noise. Suspects don't have direct line of sight to throw things at me. Your windows are your first line of defense, that's what the SGT Says.

4 comments:

rtfgvb775 said...

IS VERY GOOD..............................

Bob G. said...

Sarge:
It makes good sense to keep the front windows up, and you CAN tell the air-noise difference between a 4 dr (cruiser) and a 2 door (my car).
I think all too often, the "windows up, A/C on, safe in the cocoon" tactic DOES allow too much to NOT be taken in by the patrolling officer.
And there is always the distractions from radio, computer, traffic, civiilans...and so on.
I blogged about all the "stuff" in cruisers a while back.
(5 April - "To Tech or Not To Tech")

I'd like to see you make a post regarding how you feel about the way civilians "trick out" their cars and see if you feel the same way I do when it comes to officer safety.

Betcha a round at the pub (on either coast) we're on the SAME page there.

Stay safe.

Protect_and_Serve said...

Out here (Alabama) the weather (very hot or very cold) and the space (always driving fast to another area) keep the windows up most of the time. I treat them like seat belts, when I get close to the call I put them down.

Bunkermeister said...

Thanks rtfgvb775 for the complement.