Friday, April 30, 2010

Taser or Other?

http://m.qctimes.com/vmix_7a4d5038-82fc-11de-aa19-001cc4c03286.html

A giant suspects punched a man and knocked him out. The responding officer fired a Taser at the suspect, but he only hit him with one probe. The suspect was on him right away. The Taser is an excellent tool, but it is only one of many we carry in our tactical tool box. The Taser works very well most of the time to protect officers, innocent third parties and even suspects from significant injury.

It is not a cure all for use of force incidents. There are many instances when the Taser won't work or does not work properly. Even when armed with a Taser, officers must have a follow up plan, and a back up plan if the Taser does not stop the suspect. Even when carrying a Taser, it is important to have a baton. A baton can keep a suspect at a distance and can disable a suspect if necessary to gain control.

OC spray is another less lethal weapon that we should continue to carry in the event the Taser is not effective. The spray can be used on more than one person at a time. A quick flick of the wrist can spray several people in only a second. The Taser is limited to one suspect at a time. The Taser is a great tool, but you need other tools too; that's what the SGT Says.

4 comments:

Bob G. said...

Sarge:
I'm one oif those people that believes that when you've decided to NOT ramp up your VOA to the LETHAL level, you can NEVER have too many "options" when it comes to LESS-than-lethal.
The more...the "merrier".
And everyone gets to go home.

Momma Fargo said...

I forget I have my taser half the time. Old school, I am.

They are a great tool, tho, in some situations.

Bunkermeister said...

Options are a good thing. I wait for the Phaser on stun as the ultimate police weapon.

Bunkermeister said...

I try to think ahead as much as I can so that I have planned my options. That way I am less likely to forget my OC or Taser or other weapons.