Sunday, October 24, 2010

Event Readiness

When I recently worked a high school football game I had a patrol car with a patrol rifle and shotgun. I wore my Glock 22, my .380 back up gun, my Taser, OC spray, three knives and my PR-24 expandable baton; wore my body armor all for a high school football game where we did not expect any trouble.

My partner also had a unit and we parked on opposite sides of the field so we would always have a vehicle close by. Despite the festive nature of the event, I wanted to have all my usual patrol gear with me or near by.

Over the years I have had football games with many kinds of emergencies. You get the occasional football player who gets hurt and sometimes a lost little kid. Sometimes a slip and fall, a heart attack, I arrested a visiting coach once for battery on a parent. Drunken high school kids trying to crash the game, a brush fire, and even a gang related double shooting. So be ready for anything, anytime you are on duty and in uniform. People will expect you to act just as you always do in the field and you need your gear to be most effective; that’s what the SGT Says.

4 comments:

bepaling said...

Sarge,

I'd say this is a pretty timely post..

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/football/2010/10/21/15778926.html

Bunkermeister said...

Thanks bepaling!

Bob G. said...

Sarge:
we also had a local fracas:

http://www.wane.com/dpp/news/football-fight-flares-over-players'-conduct

Go figure.

Stay safe.

Bunkermeister said...

G Bob, keep your kids in line please.