Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Lights Out


It's never a good sign to come home to a news crew and a dozen Edison trucks in your driveway.


Yesterday, I was preparing a blog entry about emergency preparedness and instead, a transformer on a power pole in my back yard was hit by lightening. It also knocked out four others in my neighborhood. Several hundred homes lost power for about 12 hours.

I keep two flashlights on the charger all the time. They came in handy. We keep a large stock of candles on hand and we used about a twenty of them. Our stove is gas and we could have cooked but we elected to go out to eat and then did some shopping. A short drive and everything was normal. We keep a small amount of cash on hand in the event of an emergency we don't have to rely on credit cards that won't work. My digital camera was handy and charged too. I keep extra batteries for it too. That allowed me to document the workers working. There was hazardous waste involved too, so I wanted to have some photos. The Edison guys seemed to have done a good job, replacing five transporters in the dark, in the rain is pretty tough work; that's what the SGT Says.

2 comments:

Bob G. said...

Sarge:
If I didn't KNOW better, I'd swear I was reading a post I WROTE...LOL.

I do the exact same stuff, and have the same items at the ready.
(I even have a crank-flashlight, and TWO hand-held spotlights, fully-charged)

We unfortunately have an ELECTRIC stove,here.

And I always have my "go-bag (rucksack) handy.
Now, all you have to do is reset all the clocks and DVR, VCR, and TV settings...good luck with that.
(I personally hate it)

Nice to know we're on the same page regarding preparedness.
Must be the birds of a feather thing, eh?

Carry on & stay safe.

Bunkermeister said...

I am reading your mind and then posting the result.