Thursday, March 17, 2011

Handcuffs

Where are your handcuffs? Some carry them in front. Some carry their handcuffs in the back, some on the sides. Some carry a bikini handcuff case; others carry a double cuff case. What’s good and what’s bad about carrying them in different ways? Carry your handcuffs so you can reach them when you need them and so that they won’t be too uncomfortable when you sit in the patrol car.

The covered case looks professional and keeps the handcuffs clean and dry. The bikini handcuff case makes it easy for the officer to grab the handcuffs without having to open the case up. They are exposed to the air, water, and dust and dirt in a bikini case. Two sets of handcuffs are good and I prefer two single cases to one double case.

Carrying handcuffs on the side can interfere with the ability to get to the firearm, or other tools. Wearing the handcuffs at the front on the gun side allows you to easily reach the handcuffs with your gun hand. Since you are unlikely to be using handcuffs in one hand and the gun in the other hand at the same time, this seems a reasonable arrangement. Having handcuffs in the center of the back can be uncomfortable, and a double set at the back can be even worse. If you fall over backwards and land on your back you can injure your spine if you land on your handcuff case. Handcuffs are important tools, plan on the best place to keep them; that’s what the SGT Says.

5 comments:

Bob G. said...

Sarge:
Good call here.
And ALWAYS have more than TWO keys...!
Roll safe out there.

Mr. Police Man said...

I have 2 single sets, one on each side of my spine. That way if for some reason I have to go left handed I can grab that side, or vise versa.

ccm2361 said...

I always wore a single pair in a full case; in back.

Bunkermeister said...

One key on every key ring, and a big one of the police key ring. I used to carry two single cuff cases on either side of my spine too. Now I only carry one on the gun side, since I don't anticipate having the gun out and the handcuffs out at the same time. I also work with a partner and can use his if I need more than one set. Two extra sets in the gear bag for a big game!

jack mechal said...

I like because Loop-back system with nylon loop and Velcro fastening. Made of 1 1/2 in. nylon web covered with Velcro loop to mate with Velcro hook on Ultra or new Non-Buckle Duty Belt.
chiefsupply.com/search/safariland.aspx