Sunday, April 10, 2011

Cop Jobs

Where can I find out about police jobs? As new folks look for work as police officers and agencies lay off existing employees and cut back on hiring it can be difficult to even find out who is hiring cops. Naturally the first places to look for police jobs are at Internet sites like Monster, and your state unemployment office. The classified ad section of your local Sunday newspaper is a time tested source for jobs. Since not as many people read the newspaper as use the Internet, you may get a jump on some less well publicized jobs.



Next check out your state regulatory agency for police training. The Commission of Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) at www.post.ca.gov is that agency for California. There you can find a listing of every agency in the state that is regulated by them and often job listings too. The next place to look is at the websites for police unions. PORAC is the large police union in California and they always have a few job listings.


Next, go to the websites of the parent agency for the department you want to work for. Cities, counties and specialized agencies often have their own websites that link to law enforcement jobs. Sometimes agencies recruit through their human resources department rather than through their police departments, so going directly to the city website can be helpful. Other agencies recruit directly and so, lastly, go to the various police websites and look for work. There’s work out there, you just gotta find it; that’s what the SGT Says.

4 comments:

KimTheNole said...

I know that is one concern for me as this economy doesn't seem to be looking up. You always hear about people not being able to find work, including LEOs. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that there is work once I get my certification. Thanks again for the advice!

Bunkermeister said...

Work as a reserve. It keeps your POST active and many agencies hire reserves.

KimTheNole said...

I'm going to look into that over the next year. Thank you for the advice! I just got an internship with the department I want to work for later on, so hopefully that will give me a chance to let them know I am a reliable worker for later on.

Bunkermeister said...

In California we have 12% unemployment. That means 88% of the folks have jobs. That is alot of working people.