Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Cite It

When writing a ticket to a driver, where do you stand? Where does the violator go? I like to keep the driver in the car while I am writing a ticket, unless there is a specific reason not to do so. That gives me a tactical advantage. If the driver wants to attack me, they have to exit the car, they have to turn around and those two actions will provide me with the ability to respond to the potential attack.



When writing a ticket I place my ticket book on the open passenger side door frame. That way I can watch the suspect vehicle out of the corner of my eye. I can glance up and see the suspect vehicle. If I do have to use the trunk lid to write a citation, I turn my body as much to the direction of the suspect vehicle as I reasonably can while writing the ticket. Again, the goal is to allow me to write while watching the suspect vehicle.



If the driver exits the vehicle I stop writing, put the ticket book down and order them to get back into the car. If they are too far from the door to easily get back into the car, then I direct them to the curb. The idea is to continue to control the actions and location of the violator. Keeping them away from you gives you the lag time you need to respond if they attack you. It’s all about keeping the advantages on your side; that’s what the SGT Says.

No comments: