Sunday, May 8, 2011

Monsters

All over North Africa, the Middle East and parts of Africa there is great unrest. The military is fighting insurgents, the police are shooting protesters, and rebels are attacking the government. The US has had a civil war 150 years ago and only 50 years ago during the Viet Nam War American cities were burned in riots and protests.



Are you ready if this happens here? I don’t think it likely, but it is our job to plan for the worst that can happen, not just plan for the most likely emergencies. Here in California, the most likely major problem is an earthquake. But in my lifetime I have been on tsunami watch, had urban unrest, major brush fires and major urban fires. I have lived through floods and budget crisis’s that cut emergency services.



As law enforcement officials it is our duty to be ready no matter what happens. If Godzilla shows up or a UFO lands in front of city hall, it is the police who will be the first to respond. Will your agency be ready? Will you be ready? Train your family to be able to take action if an emergency event happens. Discuss the best course of action with your co-workers, you supervisor, and even command staff about their plans for every type of disaster, imaginable and unimaginable. It’s your duty to be ready; that’s what the SGT Says.

2 comments:

Bob G. said...

Sarge:
As a regular citizen, that is ALWAYS my chief concern...
If "something" develops (and with some people around here...doesn;t take all that much), I wonder if our PD will be up to fast and deliberate responses.
I would like to HOPE such is the case.
Good post.
Stay safe.

Bunkermeister said...

Riots, floods, fires, earthquakes, all sorts of dangers have hit my hometown in my lifetime.