Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tick It

When I contact the driver of a vehicle that has been stopped for a traffic violation, I greet them, "Hello," and ask them for their Drivers License, vehicle registration and proof of insurance. If they question me about anything I ask them again for their paperwork and tell them that we will start with them producing their paperwork and then I will answer their questions. If they ask my name and badge number, I will point to my name tag and tell them Officer Creek, and my officer number, and again insist on their documents.





If they continue to question me, then I take continued questioning as a form of resistance, evasion and delay in the performance of my duties. It is not safe to allow the driver to control the nature of the interview. It is up to the officer to control the nature, pace and direction of the contact.





Subjects who delay the traffic stop could be trying to confuse the officer in order to attack the officer. Suspects who continually question officers may be taping the contact, they may be planning a lawsuit, they may have a political agenda, or they may be planning an attack; or they could simply be jerks. In any case, in the absence of a direct threat, officers should be polite, professional, firm and safe. Be certain that you have the authority to write your citation and the driver does not have the right to stop you from performing your duties by delaying you; that’s what the SGT Says.

2 comments:

Bob G. said...

Sarge:
That's good advice you got there...and if I get pulled over, I always have L/R/I in hand ready to surrender to the officer for a check.

They seem to appreciate that you have ALL THREE...lol.
(wonder why?)

Roll safe out there.

Bunkermeister said...

No wonder almost no one I pull over ever has all three!