Sunday, July 3, 2011

Preparedness Again

Basic items like water need to be with you all the time. We keep water in both our cars, so we can survive the long trip home. It is in small handy bottles so we can carry several of them even if we have to walk home. How far do you typically travel from home? How quickly could you get home if you had to walk? I generally don’t travel more than 50 miles from home. In the event of a major disaster, earthquake being most likely here in Southern California, I figure it could take two to five days to walk home.



Downed bridges, downed power lines, broken sewers, urban fires, and rioting, public disorder are all to be expected after a massive earthquake in Los Angeles. It would make slow going for a person on foot, alone. I figure it could be as few as ten miles a day, depending on the amount of devastation. That’s a long walk during a hot summer.



I carry water in my vehicle in small bottles that I could put in my gear bag or even in my pockets, or tuck inside my shirt. I always carry a pistol and a couple extra magazines, along with other survival and police equipment with me. My wife works rather close to home and there are several routes she could take to get there. She also carries and emergency box in her car, including water. Can you get home, or would you walk to work? Or go someplace else? Have a plan and work your plan; that’s what the SGT Says.

No comments: