Monday, July 18, 2011

Wear Your Vest

On July 4, I worked about a six teen hour shift. It was hot. It was a long day. It was not comfortable. I wore my body armor the whole time. I took two breaks to return to the station and change my uniform. Each time I put on a new shirt and a new tee shirt. All three time my tee shirt was soaked all the way through with sweat. It was a hot day.



I started the day with a Gatorade drink before I even left the station. I had five more and a bottled water during the course of the day. I had another one on the drive home and another one once I got home. I had another Gatorade each of the next two days at home. All to rehydrate myself after the hot, sweaty day.



You need to make sure that if you are going to work on a hot day you keep your fluid intake up. Don’t drink caffeinated beverages like milk and colas. You need to drink water and sports drinks. Drink low calorie drinks and no matter how many you drink, it may not be enough. Continue to drink them once you are off duty for at least a day. Don’t go home and drink alcohol, you will lose too many fluids. I also wore a hat and wore sunscreen and long sleeve uniform shirts to protect me from the sun. No matter how hot it gets, you still gotta wear your body armor, that’s what the SGT Says.

No comments: