Saturday, March 22, 2014

Handcuffs

While adjusting my gear, I moved my handcuffs to the front of my Sam Browne, near my handgun.  I have been considering this for a while and since I was getting a new holster, it seemed a good time to put the handcuffs in front.

The concept of wearing the handcuffs in front solves several problems.  Wearing the handcuffs in back can be uncomfortable.  It can even lead to long term damage to the back by wearing that big solid lump in the small of the back.  It can even lead to injury if you are pushed or fall backwards onto the cuff case.

The other thing is that it is unlikely that you will need to point your gun at someone and handcuff them at the same time.  So having the handcuffs in front is a reminder to put your gun away to prevent a sympathetic discharge of your handgun.  Even if you have to use your gun and grab your handcuffs, they still can be reached by your left hand; that's what the SGT Says.

2 comments:

Protect_and_Serve said...

I've carried mine in the back for 22 years. I don't think I could change if i wanted to.

Mike Creek said...

I have carried my handcuffs in back for probably 30+ years, but I figured I would give it a try.
Bunkermeister