Sunday, April 27, 2014

Dog Shooting

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/texas-man-mourns-dog-shot-barking-article-1.1768020

A man came home to find his house had been burglarized.  He called the police who responded.  When the officer came to the house he shot the man's medium sized dog.  The man is considering a lawsuit and the officer was fired.  Read a sample of the comments on this article:

"I think we've all got to learn not to call the cops. They are not gonna help us, they're going to shoot us or our innocent pets or our children."

"This happens far, far too much in the US. Poor dog, and this poor, traumatized man. A cop that is startled by a barking dog needs to find a new line of work, or take some anxiety meds."

"I hope he faces criminal cruelty charges. Or a civil suit.This has been happening more and more across the country, cops shooting family pets. A diminished value for life. Starts with animals, ends with people."

There are many more just like these and worse.  Shooting a dog never ends well unless the dog has physically bitten children!  Shooting a dog should be a response of last resort.  All officers should receive training in how to deal with aggressive dog behavior.  Considering that most agencies have canine officers, it is a mystery to me why officers don't do better around dogs; that's what the SGT Says.





I think we've all got to learn not to call the cops. They are not gonna help us, they're going to shoot us or our innocent pets or our children.
I think we've all got to learn not to call the cops. They are not gonna help us, they're going to shoot us or our innocent pets or our children.

4 comments:

*Goddess* said...

Recently my daughter wanted us to visit her in Pittsburgh and bring our dog with her, and my husband said, "No, I'm afraid that if she growls at one of your tenants and they call the police, the police will shoot first and ask questions later." I hate to say it, but I agreed with him. I'd be afraid for my dog because she's easily upset by men and by loud voices. I've never understood this, and maybe you can shed some light on this for me, why don't officers tase animals first? I would think that would frighten them off.

Mike Creek said...

Officers shooting dogs is rather rare, and the video stays on the Internet without a date for years, giving the impression they are new incidents. Officers almost never get trained how to respond to a dog attack. I am trying to change that.
Bunkermeister

Protect_and_Serve said...

"the police will shoot first and ask questions later"

Wow, that's the dumbest thing I've read today. Hundreds of thousands of cops have dealt with hundreds of thousands of dogs without having to shoot them. I personally have hit, kicked, sprayed, and yelled at dozens of dogs I would have been justified in shooting. Once again we are all held accountable for the media's biased reporting of one or two cases.

Mike Creek said...

With 800,000 cops in the country some of them will do something stupid almost every day. Once in a while one of them will shoot a dog unnecessarily. It's a sad day when that happens.