Tuesday, June 24, 2014

.380

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnbRVfXuxhQ&feature=em-share_video_user

This youtube video discusses the value of using .380 and .22 caliber handguns as concealed carry permit gun.  The information directly carries over to the use by police of a small handgun as an off duty gun or a back up gun.

I have always carried a .380 as my back up gun.  My Walther PPK/S is a great little gun, it is very accurate and has held up for 30 years as my back up gun.  My theory is that having a small gun that you can shoot accurately is important for concealment and stopping the attacker.  While it does have a small bullet, the hollow point ammunition helps to overcome some of that problem.  I also don't anticipate firing my off duty or back up gun at any significant distance. 

On duty my patrol rifle or my duty handgun are my first and second choices.  Only after those failed, were taken away or ran out of ammo would I go to my back up gun. Off duty, I try not to get involved in incidents unless I am compelled to do so to, I would rather be a good witness.  If I know I am going into a bad area or if I am working in plain clothes, then I carry my duty gun concealed, rather than my back up gun, in most cases; that's what the SGT Says.

4 comments:

Protect_and_Serve said...

I carried a Beretta 22 for years and after the tiny 380s were perfected I started carrying one of those. It is NEVER my first gun but it makes a great second gun.

Mike Creek said...

Most people when shot in the eye with a .22 will stop everything else and worry about that for the rest of the day.
Bunkermeister

Protect_and_Serve said...

Regardless of the caliber I have available. If someone poses a deadly threat against me, they'll have the rest of their life to regret it.

Mike Creek said...

Exactly.
Bunkermeister