Friday, July 11, 2014

Big Brother

What happens when we have the ability to record video taken from the officers head, his chest, his patrol car and monitor it in real time at the station?  This technology probably already exists, but is certainly not yet common, durable or cost effective.  Still this will probably meet those criteria soon.

Will your supervisors sit in the dispatch office, watching every move each officer makes in the field?  Will he see every bite you take of your lunch?  Will he see every encounter you have with every citizen?  Will he see you pick up your dry cleaning on duty, or watch you type in your PIN number when you got to the ATM for lunch money?

Will the supervisor interact with you on every call?  Giving you advice on how to handle each family dispute, traffic ticket, and SWAT call out in real time as he watches your three video displays?  Will he start timing your lunch breaks, watching to see if you don't leave your beat, or spend too much time in the bathroom.  I don't mind if my supervisor goes on a ride along with me, but I don't think I am very enthusiastic about Big Brother watching my every move; that's what the SGT Says.

No comments: