Friday, November 28, 2014

Current Events

How many friends do you have that are not cops?  Do you have friends at church?  Do you go to church?  Do you tell your friends you are a cop?  Have you stayed away from relatives because you are a cop and don't want to here them complain about cops in the news?

If you don't have non-police friends then who will tell the public the truth about police work?  If you don't go to church then who will show the people who go to church about the peacemakers?  If you don't want to engage in conversations about your profession, then who do you think they will talk to about police work?

Recently I have had several conversations in person and on line about several high profile police incidents. I made it a point to read up on what happened from a number of sources so I could get a pretty good idea about the full facts of the incidents.  Then I stuck to those facts and to those specific incidents and explained the law, the agency policy and the standard of reasonableness, and finally asked the other person for options.  I think I did a good job of education, even if I did not actually change everyone's mind, I at least made them think. Sometimes that's enough of a start; that's what the SGT Says.

No comments: