Thursday, January 8, 2015

Report Writing

Writing a report narrative should be just like talking to your mother or your girlfriend.  Write in the first person.  I received a call from Dispatch.  I arrived at the scene.  Start at the beginning and continue to the end.

Write the report as you experienced the events.  I spoke to the witness, she told me what she saw.  I than spoke to the victim, he told me what happened to him.  Simply write down what they told you.  Use quotations if they say anything especially important.

Reports should either not use police codes or the code should be explained in the text.  If your agency changes codes, or you forget the code and have to testify several years later, it's nice to have the definition handy.  The plain English version is also easier for juries, and attorneys as well as judges to understand; that's what the SGT Says.

1 comment:

RGrant said...

Your blog is really great, and it seems like it could help get the word out to help raise money for the families of the NYPD officers who were senselessly killed last month. I found this charity which gives 100% of the proceeds to the victims families: please donate and share! https://www.e-cause.com/NYPD-Heroes?h=7YH