Friday, June 19, 2015

Do As You Are Told

http://calibrepress.com/2015/06/video-body-and-cell-cam-of-fatal-ois/

An officer pulled over a car because the driver flashed his headlights at him.  The drive said he thought the officer had his "bright" lights on.  The officer explained that his patrol car was new, the headlights were brighter than most headlights but that he did not have his "bright" lights on.  The officer asked for the driver license, registration and proof of insurance from the driver.

From the beginning the driver was not compliant.  I think I would have ask for a second unit right away, as soon as the driver began to argue.  If for no other reason, I would have a witness to my professional behavior.  The officer was very reasonable and explained everything he was doing and why he was doing it.

The officer asked the driver to get out of his car, I think I would have waited until back up arrived until I got the suspect out of the car, since at the very least the suspect was likely to engage in passive resistance, given his attitude.  The officer had his Taser ready and even used it on the suspect.  The suspect engaged in a fight with the officer who eventually had to shoot him.  This is a perfect example of the I don't have to do what you tell me mentality that is so prevalent today.  In this case the results were tragic; that's what the SGT Says.

No comments: