Saturday, August 29, 2015

Ask, Tell, Require

Police use of force can often be prevented from escalation if use of force is applied sooner, rather than later.  When contacting a subject, in general, they should be asked to perform a act.  If they do not, then they should be told to perform the act.  Finally, they should be forced to perform the act.

I always try to be nice to people.  I ask them to give me their license, or to put their hands up.  My preference it to not be confrontational.  I would rather talk someone into handcuffs than hurt them and I see no reason to start off hard, making people angry or resentful.

Still, I expect compliance to my lawful and reasonable instructions.  If I don't get compliance, I become concerned that they may be planning to attack me, or distract me.  I don't beg people to do what they need to do; that's what the SGT Says.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I learned it by the acronym ATM. Ask, tell, make.

Mike Creek said...

I like it.
Bunkermeister