Saturday, August 8, 2015

Notes

When investigating a crime it can be helpful to take notes.  One thing I do sometimes is take a paper crime report and take my notes on that.  It helps me to remember to gather all the information that is specific to that particular crime.

I also try to remember that many forms are behind the times.  I always try to get cell phone numbers, in addition to home numbers, and work numbers.  I also try to get email addresses, particularly work and home, as well as a text number.  It's important to be able to contact people later so getting these pieces of information is important. 

Police reports need to be complete and by having a copy of the actual report form, it can be helpful to aid in asking the right questions.  A copy of the penal code can be useful too, so you can insure the witnesses or evidence supports a particular charge.  Gathering data is an important part of your job; that's what the SGT Says.

No comments: