Sunday, August 16, 2015

Vehicle Approach

When I work as the passenger officer, I try and get out of the car right away on a traffic stop.  I unlatch the door and push it open with my foot.  I get out rapidly and walk forward to the vehicle we have stopped.

I turn on my flashlight if it is night and I check the trunk as I approach.  I bump the rear quarter panel because I want them to know that I am there.  I am taking their minds off the driver officer.  I want to check the rear seat and be up at the door post by the time my partner is out of the patrol car.

My intention is that they look for the driver side approach, then realize the officer is on the passenger side, then again divert their attention to the driver side.  It keeps the people inside the car guessing as to our location and our intentions.  It gives us a bit more of an edge; that's what the SGT Says.

No comments: